Assignment 2.1: Policemen of the WorldThesis and Outline
Due Week 7 and worth 70 points
By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominantforce in international relations. Some have argued that the United States’military functions as the world’s “police.” This assignment covers the manner inwhich this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as aresult of its status as “policemen of the world.” Using the Internet andreputable news sources, research two (2) real-life international incidents fromthe past five (5) years in which:
- The U.S. used military action abroad.
- Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S.involvement.
- Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S.involvement.
- Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in whichyou:
- State your thesis on the significance of the current role of the USmilitary, as exemplified in the two (2) real-life international incidents thatyou have researched. Justify your response.
For the first part of thisassignment you will create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually asingle sentence somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main ideato the reader. The body of the essay organizes the material you gather andpresent in support of your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is aninterpretation of a question or subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Pleaseconsult the Purdue OWL Website with tips on how to construct a proper thesis;the website can be found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01…
Forthe next part of this assignment you will create an outline of the main pointsyou want to address in this paper. This will serve as the basis for yourAssignment 2.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please use the Purdue Owl Website to assistyou with this assignment; this website can be accessed at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/2/55/
- Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Describe the two (2) international events involving the US military from thepast five (5) years you investigated that can be traced back to a foreign policycreated after the Civil War.
- List three (3) aspects of US history since 1865 that have led to the US’srise as a world super power policeman.
- List three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II whereAmerica has taken on a policing role.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policydecisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously.(Consider treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars, etc.)
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to thetextbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify asacademic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inchmargins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA orschool-specific format. Check with your professor for any additionalinstructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’sname, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page andthe reference page are not included in the required assignment pagelength.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignmentare:
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the Civil War, Reconstruction,and Industrialization after the Civil War have shaped America’s history.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government haveinfluenced the direction of historical and social development in the UnitedStates.
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the CivilWar.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporaryU.S. history.
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using properwriting mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric